Pages

Sunday 9 March 2014

Solange x Puma Girls of Blaze


Lets ignore the fact that this happened over a month ago (and I'm subsequently only posting about it now...ahem) and lets, instead, celebrate the fact that it actually happened, yes? Solange proves - yet again- that she is more than just a singer but an artist/creator with expansive, wonderful ideas that we can now wear with the Puma 'Girls of Blaze' collection. I guess the only way we can truly appreciate this new project is by being aware of the history behind it:  the original Puma DiscBlaze is known as one of the iconic running shoes of the early nineties; created back in 1991, it was Puma's first laceless sneaker that used a nifty disc or 'closure unit' that one would twist to ensure a perfect fit and comfortable feel.

Solange's new 'Girls of Blaze' collection is a clear nod to the iconic Blaze original, moreover, as the new creative director at Puma she collaborated with three of her favourite designers, William Okpo, Hisham Baroocha and Gerlan Jeans to make four wonderful designs, each with enough modern edge to appeal to all of us and the right amount of nineties nostalgia to pay proper homage to the originals. Until now the DiscBlaze has been made only for men, making this a breakthrough project for Puma, Solange and all of us ladies as well.  I personally love these shoes; some may find them overwhelmingly eclectic but I think the design is vibrant and fun - my favourite pair is definitely the Disc Rainbows. Lets hope local Puma stores get their hands on these jewels sometime soon (make it happen Universe). Peep some pictures from the ad campaign below and take a look at the actual sneakers further down.

In other news, helllo everybody! Its good to be blogging again, school has been hectic...naturally (*rolls eyes here*), but I'm going home for vac soon and I can't wait to get some much needed R&R, I hope you are all doing well and making the best of the summer (aside: Stellenbosch girls have no fear for booty shorts - which I revere and respect greatly - but its so hot over here that a girl might have to get herself a pair soon).

xx








(Disc Rainbows - Willam Okpo)

(Disc Dolphins - Hisham Baroocha)


(Disc Tire - Gerlan Jeans).



1 comment:

  1. Hi! :D

    You're alive. Masters is not going to get you that easily, I see :)

    Do you know that I still have not joined in with the sneaker trend, after all these years? So now, if I do buy a pair, I'll either be hopelessly behind the trend or I'll start a new one altogether. It's a gamble- should I take it? Haha

    (I hear what you're saying about those shorts! The girls at UCT live in high-waisted bum shorts. If my parents knew how much near-nudity I am witnessing on these campus-streets... *smh*)

    ReplyDelete