Pages

Sunday 21 August 2011

LITERATE GIRL


This is an excerpt from Charles Warnke's article "You should date an Illiterate girl" - here he talking to the literate girl, i.e. ME. It seems like he is damning me to hell but after I read this I felt proud that I was her, and if you somehow feel like you relate to her as well, I'm here to tell you that there is nothing to be ashamed of.
Happy Monday:)
(and the picture, you ask?uuhhh..well, I just think its pretty)
Don’t date a girl who reads because girls who read are the storytellers. You with the Joyce, you with the Nabokov, you with the Woolf. You there in the library, on the platform of the metro, you in the corner of the café, you in the window of your room. You, who make my life so [gawd] damned difficult. The girl who reads has spun out the account of her life and it is bursting with meaning. She insists that her narratives are rich, her supporting cast colorful, and her typeface bold. You, the girl who reads, make me want to be everything that I am not. But I am weak and I will fail you, because you have dreamed, properly, of someone who is better than I am. You will not accept the life that I told of at the beginning of this piece. You will accept nothing less than passion, and perfection, and a life worthy of being storied. So out with you, girl who reads. Take the next southbound train and take your Hemingway with you. I hate you. I really, really, really hate you.
-You Should Date an Illiterate Girl, 19 January 2011
Charles Warnke

No comments:

Post a Comment